I have attempted a number of home made recipes in the past for playdough and this one BY FAR has been the easiest, had the best consistency AND lasted the longest. I thought it sounded strange initially to be using Jelly Crystals in playdough however the strangeness of it appealed to me. The kids also LOVED the idea of making playdough with Jelly (no they didn’t try and eat it) which made it that little bit more fun to play with.
Two of the main things I loved about this recipe was the consistency of the playdough was great and it was easy for the kids to do things like push it through playdough hair toys by themselves (see photo above). The second thing I liked about it was it lasted for ages before needing to be thrown out. It did not dry out or go mouldly quickly so had a great lifespan.
You can see ingredients and and instructions below …
Jelly Playdough Ingredients:
white flour – 1 cup
salt – 2 tbsp
cream of tartar – 2 tbsp
cooking oil – 2 tbsp
warm water – 1 cup
Jelly Crystals – 85 gram pack
Directions for Jelly Playdough Recipe:
1. Place all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl
2. Mix them all together until you have a consistent mixture
3. Pour into a saucepan on medium heat and stir continuously
4. While mixing over the heat it will thicken into a big ball
5. Once it has thickened place it on a piece of wax paper to cool
6. Kneed it for a few minutes once cooled with some flour
7. The Jelly Crystals will give it some colour however if you want to make it extra colourful add any food coloring or glitter to spice things up!