This is a hearty winter meal recipe.
Thanks to Lisa from No Excuses for this one and many others!
1 large purple onion (could use brown too), chopped
1 – 2 tablespoons crushed garlic or minced garlic
2 cups of fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
2 x 400g cans of Diced Tomatoes
1 x 140g tin of Tomato Paste
1 x 700ml Passata Sauce
1 Tablespoon of dried basil or mixed herbs
Salt & Pepper
1 cup red wine
8 rissoles or 16 meatballs (basic meatball recipe is 1kg minced beef, 2 eggs and 1 cup of breadcrumbs : mix and mould into shape)
* other vegetables that work well in this recipe are chopped mushrooms, leak, celery, capsicum or zucchini.
- In a large pot fry all the vegetables, herbs and garlic in a little olive oil and sauté until transparent.
- Next, place the meat balls on top of cooked vegetables and toss and brown them.
- Pour in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes and wine. Stir gently then add bay leaves and salt n’ pepper to taste.
- Place the lid on the pot and put into a 200C oven for about 30 – 40 minutes.
- Serve on cooked rice.
Prep Time 15mins : Cook Time 40mins
Thanks to Lisa from No Excuses