*This post is Sponsored by Steggles
My kids can be a bit fussy at times but both of them love a store bought sausage roll. I thought I would put my bakery skills to the test and see if I could whip up some homemade sausage rolls packed full of veggies as a new family meal for the week.
My kids love eating mince and sausages and easily chewable meats but for some reason have never taken to chicken as I think they find it too dry as they often like their meat plain. I decided to use chicken mince instead of regular mince to see if I could get some more meat variety into them rather than just beef. The other great thing about the Steggles chicken mince is that it is lean with only 10% fat (compared to regular beef mince that is awesome) PLUS it is made using 100% chicken fillets.
I am happy to report it was a success and they were happily eaten by the whole family (including hubby who couldn’t get enough!!)
Below is my recipe AND instructions:
3/4 Cup Finely Grated Zucchini
3/4 Cup Finely Grated Carrot
1 Cup Grated Cheese
1 Small Finely Chopped Onion
2 1/2 Cups of Breadcrumbs
750 Grams Steggles Chicken Mince
5 Sheets Short Crust Pastry
1. Turn oven on to preheat fan forced 190 degrees.
2. Place frozen short crust pastry on the bench in pieces to thaw.
3. Combine in bowl and mix together finely grated zucchini, carrot, cheese and onion.
4. Once it is an even consistency add breadcrumbs AND chicken mince (I make my own breadcrumb using rye bread in my magic bullet or you can use store bought)
5. Mix all of these ingredients together with your fingers until mixtures is even and consistent.
6. Cut each piece of pastry in half long ways.
7. Place chicken mince mixture into the center of the pastry.
8. Brush the flap where the pastry will join with some lightly beaten egg.
9. Roll the pastry closed and cut into 3 pieces.
10. Brush the top of the sausage roll pieces with lightly beaten egg.
11. Sprinkle on top with sesame seeds.
12. Cook on a greased tray in the oven on 190 degrees for 40 minutes.
Eat and enjoy!!
If you want to become a Fellow School Mum and stay updated with all the latest then click here!!