Where does a parent’s responsibility end, and a school’s begin? Tired of having to teach its students basic manners, organisational skills and hygiene, this Portugese school took matters into its own hands. A poster was put up in the school halls addressing parents directly.
- We would like to remind you that magic words such as hello, please, you’re welcome, I’m sorry, and thank you, all begin to be learned at home
- It’s also at home that children learn to be honest, to be on time, diligent, show friends their sympathy, as well as show utmost respect for their elders and all teachers.
- Home is where they learn to be clean, not talk with their mouths full, and how/where to properly dispose of garbage.
- Home is also where they learn to be organized, to take good care of their belongings, and that it’s not ok to touch others.
- Here at school, on the other hand, we teach language, math, history, geography, physics, sciences, and physical education. We only reinforce the education that children receive at home from their parents.”
Images of the poster were soon shared on Facebook, where it was soon shared far and wide, and has gathered a whole lot of support.
What do you think about that? Do you think we as parents are expecting too much of schools?