Some of you may remember that we recently put together an eBook of 10 great cakes that you can make yourself at home for well under $20 ($5.95) with our good friend Sarah from The Sugar Hit. We have decided to share a few with you on the site but first the bases which the cakes are built on.
This is no box of cake-mix sponge but rather a simple and delicious base for your next creation.
Vanilla Butter Cake
A classic, simple butter cake. This is easy to make, uses ingredients you probably already have in the house, and can be adapted in a million different ways. This book is full of some of our favourites, plus check each section for more variations and ideas.
- 375g butter
- 1 ¾ cups (350g) sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 ½ cups (375g) plain flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 6 tbsp (90ml) milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Grease and line 3 x 18 cm baking tins with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180C (160C Fan-forced).
- Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and light. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl between each.
- Add in the flour, baking powder and salt, and mix until just combined.
- Finally, stream in the milk and vanilla and mix until a smooth, thick batter forms.
- Distribute the mix evenly between the three tins, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown, risen, and springing back when touched. A skewer should come out clean.
- Leave to cool for about 10 minutes, before removing from the tins to cool completely on a wire rack.
For more great cakes like this check out our eBook of 10 great cakes that you can make yourself at home for well under $20 ($5.95) with our good friend Sarah from The Sugar Hit.